Sunday 4 January 2015

The Corona Bar, Shawlands



One of my old watering holes. The first home I owned was a flat near this famous Southside pub.

On a corner site bounded by a dance hall (The Malborough in my day, the Shed now) the pub was built in 1913 and is a slightly garish building set amongst the uniform Victorian sandstone of the area. The pub had a strange setting as a "pub within a pub". In my day "Maxwells" was an "L" shaped establishment in the Malborough building surrounding the Corona. When I drank there it was probably pretty much as the Edwardian original.

So if you want to visit an old fashioned Glasgow boozer…forget it, you're too late. Some time ago the Corona was opened out and joined with Maxwells to form a soulless barn of a pub - part of the John Barras pub chain, I think.   


*** Update***

I read in my local newspaper that the west end bar & restaurant "The Butterfly and the Pig" is taking over the Corona. They are planning to "restore many original features".  


*** Update#2***

I stuck my head in the door of "The Butterfly and the Pig" and it's still a dump.

2 comments:

  1. I had been trying to remember what Maxwells was called a wee while back. I remember it when it was the hotel's lounge bar, and simply called that. I seem to remember that when it re-opened they turfed out all the old regulars as being too scruffy and tried for a trendier vibe. This worked out well for about a month and then something else caught the attention of the bright young things who flittered away to that instead. They then had to let the original punters back in if they were going to make any money. Quite amusing seeing all the old boys in flat caps with their equally decrepit old dogs sitting drinking half pints and a nip amid all the new finery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking it had a science fiction like name - the Faze II (Faze 2)???

    ReplyDelete